Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Freeing the Freak

As my on-again, off-again, very-little-sex relationship with Nondescript plodded forward and lurched backward, a war brewed inside me.

On some level, I understood that Nondescript represented my last shot at holding my barely contained sexual beast at bay. I clung to the idea that we could be a real couple with unvarnished desperation. But in the long stretches between our rare phone calls and even rarer face-to-face conversations, I began building my life.

I went to psychotherapy and started taking antidepressants. Over night, my diary went from a tear-stained collection of laments to a catalog of things I was doing to make my dreams come true. I negotiated a raise at my draining job. I pursued my acting career. I took yoga classes and swimming lessons.

Most importantly, I started reading and working with the exercises in The Artist's Way, a book that changed my life. One of the exercises was to write about people I secretly admired. I scribbled:
  • Bad girls: For f*cking when, where & who they want to f*ck; wearing revealing clothing; smoking & drinking; fighting & cussing. Being real & telling the world to go to hell.
  • Good girls: For having genuine faith in God, genuine happiness. For being virtuous by choice, selfless by nature. For being everything that is stable and right in the world.
I wasn't that damn-it-to-hell bad girl, nor was I that pure-as-the-driven-snow good girl.

But one thing was clear. Good or bad, I was not going to continue being achingly lonely and sex-deprived.

There was one last date, one last round of mixed signals, one last humiliation as I begged for sex. This time, I clearly heard the Voice Within say, "Goodbye." I immediately tried to pretend I didn't hear, but this time, there was no turning back.

Four days later, an actor I met at a film-shoot rehearsal casually called me a freak.

His comment kicked off a flurry of terrified, confused, defiant and excited diary entries:
  • "What does it mean to be a freak? I am tired of pretending to be a respectable woman. If a complete stranger can see that, if I know it inside, why am I still holding on?" 
  • "I feel Wild Woman coming out to play, and boy is she scary. She is very libidinous, very horny. She wants to pick fights & kick ass. She wants to tell the boss & the working world to go to hell, she wants to f*ck any man that moves. I'm afraid of her. I don't know how much room I'll give her."
  • "A freak. A freak. It's ringing in my ears because I know it's true. I enjoy & crave & want sex. I have very, very few limits. I sometimes think I might even be bisexual. I've never felt attracted to a woman, but is it because I've never allowed it?"
I took an AIDS test so I could f*ck with a clear conscience.

And within days, I opened my legs to the man who freed my freak from her self-imposed cage.

I'd actually met him six weeks before and had initially rebuffed his advances.

You see, I knew he was trouble.

I also knew he was married. 

High-Score Diaries: Part 6 of TBD (1 2 3 4 5 6 TBD)

Please "Like" Don't Be a Slut on Facebook or follow on Twitter.